This year we wanted give us a special treat and decided to spend the Christmas holiday away from home with the kids.
As neither my husband nor I as practicing ski or snowboarding, and as we are not very keen of driving long distances with unpredictable weather conditions, we decided to stay a week at the Center Parcs Bostalsee.
As we already stayed there once, we knew the premises, the facilities and surroundings, and all this only 130km from home.
As a special bonus for our family cook and housekeeper - ME - we booked a package of twice lunch buffet and one dinner buffet at the restaurant.
In retrospect, we realized that we could have saved it, and especially the money paid for it.
The buffet was really of mediocre quality and lacked of inspiration and creativity. Though I was well aware in advance that it would not be a vegetarian or vegan feast, I had at least hoped that the vegetables, fruits and other side dishes would be scrumptious and delicious. Which was definitely not the case.
Fortunately at least the kids enjoyed it.
Beneath I posted a picture of the so called 'festive pastries' and I think it's all said.
Apart from the very poor food quality; not only on at the Market Restaurant buffet, but also the Market Café & Bistro as well as the snack corner (they even manage to make bad pizza, pasta, burgers and fries), we really enjoyed the CenterParcs Bostalsee.
The cottages are new, well equipped and spacious (the park opened in 2013). You'll find all you need in the supermarket in the Market Dome.
Our favorite leisure activités in this Center Parcs:
- bowling : absolutely great, though not very cheap
- we made our first attempts in air hockey - great fun too
- outdoor mini golf : love it !
- small indoor playground and climbing frame : the kids love it !
- outdoor playgrounds: large wooden playgrounds assuring great fun
- aqua mundo: fun fun fun for the whole family - we've been each day to the aqua mundo
- the kids do also very much like the little farm with animals as well as the football and basketball ground
Another great asset : the lake Bostalsee , wonderful to walk and bike around even with younger kids
What else do we like about this CenterParcs:
- proximity to our home
- things do do and see in the sourroundings: Sankt Wendel, Idar-Oberstein, Godwana museum and prehistoric immersive attraction, aircraft Museum Hermeskeil . . . .
What we dislike:
- the food
- being stuck for 20 to 30 minutes at the parking on a Wednesday because all the new arrivals have to drive through the parking lot to get to the check in booth
- the indoor mini golf - we did it once, but non of us really enjoyed it
What we missed:
though I'm not of christian faith, I would have loved to feel a bit of the spirit of Christmas which unfortunately lacked completely.
No comments on windsurfing (not in December), he beach (we didn't go there) or do the 'high adventure experience' or children climbing course which we didn't try neither.
One last note:
if you're ever visiting Sankt Wendel, about 20 minutes by car from CenterParcs Bostalsee, you absolutely have to have lunch or dinner at the manin it the best restaurant in the region!! I promise!
It's centrally located 'am Schlossplatz', you can't miss it.
Schlossplatz is where all the festive markets are held on Eastern, Christmas as well as many other activities, concerts and festivals.